Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Some peace and quiet

As warm and cozy as Morocco and its inhabitants can be, I do miss being able to have time alone to myself. And not just in my room upstairs. Not a day goes by where I haven't been stared down by the guy walking towards me nor has a day gone by where some random Moroccan guy doesn't say "Bonjour" or try and attract my attention in some way. My glares or lack of reaction somehow don't seem to discourage them. At first, I found the street harassment amusing as I listened to the different pick up lines men tried to use. Some were honestly hilarious and I had to try really hard not to laugh in their faces. I've gotten:

- Bonjour
- Salut, belle fille!
- Beautiful girl
- Chinois! (French for Chinese-- I hate this one)
- Ni hao
- Konichiwa
- Hi. How are you? Thank you.
- So far so good?
- Can I have your number?
- Looking for Moroccan husband?
- Yes we can!! No we can't!!
- Hi, Spice Girls!
- AMAZING! (said in a most enthusiastic voice)
- Was it raining? (after showering and having left the gym)
- Oooh, hungry? (while we were eating & walking on the streets)

(I'll continue to add to this list :P)

Though initially amusing, there are days where I wish I could be allowed to be be absorbed in my own world, where my thoughts are uninhibited. I can't think or even day dream when I'm walking on the streets because I have watch out for pest-like men trying to throw themselves at me for a date. It kind of feels like having a swarm of flies in your face whenever you're outdoors. As if walking isn't bad enough, running along the beach equates to men rolling down their car windows to make sure you know they're staring you down and to flashing headlights. Honestly, I sometimes want to yell at the men to grow up and learn some self control. I know this harassing thing is part of their culture (we were prepped for this during orientation and told of how the origins of courting a few generations back came from street harassing), but I don't understand how these men don't see what fools they're making of themselves. Definitely not attractive, at least not to foreigners.

With walking and running already so difficult to do, it would definitely be nearly impossible to escape to a desolate area, even a park, where I can be left alone with my thoughts. Being able to think freely without being interrupted never seemed like a luxury, but now it sure does. One thing I especially liked about Paris was that though the city was so crowded and full of people and cars, I could easily escape to a nearby park or even the river and be free of the stares of strangers on the métro. I haven't felt so suffocated and restricted in a long time...

In addition to the street harassing, the medina isn't safe in the evenings, especially for foreign females. I remember my dad being really worried about my safety when I was in Paris, but my host mother then told me that Paris was a very safe city. She said one of my host sisters often took walks or walked home late at night in Paris; it wasn't uncommon for her to walk home at midnight or one in the morning. I often took the métro late at night in Paris and came home pretty late in the morning a few times too but did not feel worried about my safety. Here in Morocco, though, when I want to do anything or go anywhere, I always have to think twice about the time, place, and people I'm going with to see if my life might be in danger. Dad and Mom, if you're reading this, trust me, I'm OK. I know how to take care of myself. Really.

When I think about it, I still think the American west coast is one of the best places in the world. It's easy to escape to a national park, to the outdoors, away from people, cars, buildings.. I guess I'll have to get used to staring at the tiles in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment